Saturday, March 28, 2009

Obtaining Freedom

Freedom isn't a word I've given much thought to until recently. When it has been mentioned in the past, the only thing that came to mind was long-ago wars which were completely removed from the world I'm living in today. Take our great fight against the English "back in the day" for instance. The brows of Americans nationwide tend to crease it righteous rage as they firmly shake their fists in the air, bellowing victory chants. We were free. It not only our privilege to remember our win with patriotic pride, it hovers on duty. Our sense of accomplishment, when questioned (why is your face scrunched up almost beyond recognition when the defeat of the British is mentioned?), is vehemently defended with statements such as "...because now we're free." or "...because now we can do what we want with no tyrants." Ah. No tyrants. That begs the question of what exactly is a tyrant. Here's what Webster says. "Tyrant: an absolute ruler unrestrained by law or constitution; a ruler who exercises absolute power oppressively or brutally." Let me ask you something. Being human, have you ever let evil reign in your life? Your definition of evil may not be the same as the next person. I think evil is whatever makes your stomach recoil. It's what makes you put your head in your hands and weep when no one is looking. It's getting to the point you swore you'd never reach. For some, it's lying. For others, it's murder. Still others, it's cheating on the wife or husband. I call it sin in general, but taken to extreme: the complete saturation of sin. Lately, I've been like a sponge. Anything "bad" is getting soaked in and just when I think I can't take anymore, I do something more horrific than the last deed. For those of you familiar with the Bible, I feel like Jacob wrestling with the angel in Genesis. I've told some of you this...Jacob got out with a limp and the satisfaction that he didn't just take someone's word for it. I'm still looking in horror at the divine being standing in front of me, my mind rebelling at the thought of what I must do. I think of the sin in my life as a the tyrant. It's oppressive. It's brutal. It rules without law or constitution. I'm so far deep I can't see the dim haze of light at the entrance of the hole. I'm like baby North America right before the Revolutionary War: in the throes of unacceptable enslavement. Naturally, now that I've finally come to this conclusion, the thought of freedom thrills me and seems like a daunting accomplishment- near impossible. Freedom from these failings is to me like a starving man tasting his first steak. He rolls the bit of meat around in his mouth, simply savoring the taste and reveling in the wonder of something he thought he'd never see again. And then he eats ferociously. I want to throw my hands in the air, spinning around, basking in the free air. I want to be able to laugh out loud again. I want to smile. I want to not dread getting up in the morning. I want to giggle for the sheer joy of being alive. Tyrants don't usually step down quietly. Drastic measures need to be taken by those oppressed. A revolution is necessary. Is it any different with spiritual warfare? I can't calmly and sedately go about my regular routine and expect my outlook to improve. Change. I need to change. I need to take extreme measures to overthrow the "tyrant" in my life. It's not going to be easy. I know this. Perhaps that's why I'm so hesitant to begin the grueling march towards freedom. Is it worth it? I can unquestioningly answer that in the affirmative. But, you'll have to decide that for yourself. I have Someone who knows the ins and outs of this particular battle quite well. He's memorized the strategies of the enemy, knows when he'll strike, is familiar with my weaknesses and strengths, and also knows His own limitations- completely nonexistent. And why have I procrastinated moving forward? What stops me from putting my hand in His and walking into the light? I don't have an answer to that right now. But I do know that I should probably stop thinking and skip and jump into freedom, fighting the oppression with every weapon I have. Onward to war!

2 comments:

  1. It's the change that hurts the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beka, thank you for your moving, honest words. I feel enlightened and empowered. Death to tyrants!

    ReplyDelete