Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Society At Large....

It has recently come to my attention that WalMart is slowly, but surely decreasing the amount of size 18 jeans from their shelves. This could alarm some people, including myself, but I think the real question is, will this induce a nation-wide diet? If larger clothes become increasingly difficult to obtain, will that alone provoke an American Revolution unlike any we've seen before? Or will WalMart be forced to surrender it's role in the noble fight against obesity? Whether or not the lack of larger garments was meant to be on purpose or simply a coincidential shortage, I applaud their efforts- intentional or otherwise. In my opinions, Americans as a whole have come to rely heavily on happy pills and sedatives to survive the routine they themselves chose to adhere to. Let me be quite clear. I am not bashing anti-depressants, nor am I advocating herbal remedies, diet solutions, or other methods used to promote happiness and contentment. If one truly has a problem with negativity, depression, self-esteem or any other ailment that attacks the psyche, then by all means, do what you need to do to become functional. But I have to wonder if our overall lack of exercise, poor diet, and sedate lifestyle are not aggravating our apathetic mindset. I am preaching to the choir when I write this. I have, and still do, struggle with depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts at times, and even som paranoia. But I've begun to ask myself if my problems have not become worse because I chose not to take a daily walk, eat cucumbers instead of potato chips, or go out and socialize instead of sitting on the couch watching TV. I refuse to point fingers at anybody and blame myself entirely for my current way of living. How can I accuse others of not "living up to their potential" when I myself am not trying? So, here's to all of us who are battling the bulge...it may feel like an inevitable defeat, but tomorrow is always a new day!

1 comment:

  1. See, where you laud Wal*Mart, I curse them. I shake my fists at their overflowing shelves of sixteens and fourteens and lower, and curse their stock. I say that they are not trying so much to aid the deteriorating waistline of America as attempting to employ the backwards method of business assurance. By making larger women who are larger than their regular stock purchase what they so patronizingly dub "women" which is their polite term for large [though sometimes they include curvy thoughts in the cuts], they are singling them out. Most "women" stock is grown up or just plain frumpy. Some of it is very nice, I admit, but it is not exactly what you might want if you're 18-25 and don't want to be confined to such dreary things as dress jackets. By destroying their self-esteem, they create mindless slaves of their stores, purchasing the clothing they want to wear and the exercise and dieting strategems that they want to use to get into them...okay. I'm done here. I might go ahead and make this a real post.

    ReplyDelete